Your time can make a big difference in our community.
If you are interested and able to volunteer, please contact each organization directly to learn about their specific needs and opportunities to help.
All volunteers should exercise appropriate precautions given their individual circumstances and follow the guidance of public health officials on how to stay safe. If you would like more information, you can visit the CDC website.
United Way of Greater New Haven Volunteer Opportunities
During Week of Action, we invite you to participate in volunteer events aimed at making an impact on the lives of individuals and families facing hunger. Together, we can make a meaningful impact in our community by addressing food insecurity!
Saturday, June 17th | 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM | New Haven
Let's roll up our sleeves and get our hands dirty as we clean up and beautify a community garden in New Haven. You will help to ensure that fresh and healthy produce can be grown to support those in need.
Drop off on Tuesday, June 20th | 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM | New Haven
Collect nutritious snacks, including granola bars, fruit cups, and trail mix. Your donations will be distributed to local organizations.
Wednesday, June 21st | 4:15 PM - 6:00 PM | Hamden
Sign-up for our Hamden Mobile Food Pantry and distribute essential food items to those in need.
Thursday, June 22nd | 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM | Guilford
Support a community hub at the Guilford Food Bank! Sign up to clean and beautify their outdoor space.
Friday, June 23rd | 4:30 PM - 7:15 PM | Hamden
In partnership with Dinner for a Dollar, we will gather to serve warm handmade meals to individuals and families in Hamden! This is a family-friendly opportunity! Sign-up and engage your children in community service.
Join us every other Thursday morning as we partner with Gather New Haven to get our hands dirty and help maintain community gardens across New Haven! You will get exact site details (address, logistics, etc.) a few days before the event you sign up for.
Roll up your sleeves and come get your hands dirty! Volunteers are needed to help clean up Davenport Community Garden and get it ready for the growing season!
Friday, 5/26: 9:30 AM - 11 AM
Read to students at Washington School in West Haven! The school will be providing all the books needed.
United Way of Greater New Haven, in partnership with the Connecticut Foodshare, the Town of Hamden, and Hamden Public Schools, is managing a bi-weekly mobile pantry in Hamden. Volunteers will help set-up the food pantry, distribute food, and help with break down. This pantry is a rain or shine event!
Sign up for one of the dates below and help get food into the hands of families in need:
Lend a hand by organizing by helping the Diaper Bank repackage diapers and other hygiene products! Volunteers are needed to help sort, count, repackage, label, and box products.
- Tuesday, May 2nd, 9AM - 11:30AM
- Tuesday, June 6th, 9AM - 11:30AM
- Tuesday, July 11th, 9AM - 11:30AM
- Tuesday, August 1st, 9AM - 11:30AM
- Tuesday, September 5th, 9AM - 11:30AM
- Tuesday, October 3rd, 9AM - 11:30AM
- Tuesday, November 7th, 9AM - 11:30AM
- Tuesday, December 5th, 9AM - 11:30AM
Sign up and make sure families in need get essential supplies as quickly as possible!
Volunteer Opportunities from other Organizations
Hamden Youth Services needs your help with the following events!
- Hamdenfest, Saturday, June 3, 2023 (rain date is Sun. June 4th), 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM – Hamden Youth Services is seeking volunteers to help at our annual Hamdenfest event, duties include assisting with kids’ crafts & activities, as well as helping at the resource table distributing handouts & brochures.
- Pride in the Park, Saturday, June 10, 2023 (rain date is Sun. June 11th), 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM – Hamden Youth Services is seeking volunteers to help at our annual Pride in the Park event, duties include assisting with kids’ crafts & activities, as well as helping at the resource table distributing handouts & brochures.
- Hamden Peace Walk, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM – Hamden Youth Services is seeking volunteers to help at the resource table distributing handouts & brochures. Volunteers also have the opportunity to participate in the walk to help end gun violence in our community.
- Rap Concert, Thursday, July 13, 2023, 5:00 PM – 9:30 PM – Hamden Youth Services is seeking volunteers to help at our teen rap concert, duties include taking tickets as well as serving food.
- National Night Out, Tuesday, August 1, 2023, 2:30 PM – 7:30 PM – Hamden Youth Services is seeking volunteers to help at our annual National Night Out event. Duties include helping with kids’ activities & crafts, distributing handouts & brochures, assisting with giveaways, and serving food.
For any questions contact Susan Rubino at email@example.com or (203) 777-2610 ext. 1120
Volunteers who love nature and working with children are needed!
Common Ground's classes welcome small groups of children, ages 5 - 13, to learn and play in nature. They are outside in almost all weather, enjoying the sunshine, snow, blue skies, and rain! They care for farm animals, help on the farm, go hiking, cook over campfires, make nature art, build forts, and more.
Volunteers support their teaching team in helping our days be joyful and run smoothly. Typical needs include support in walking children to the bathroom, rounding up stray water bottles, putting on mittens, zipping coats, helping with activities, engaging with children and supporting their social and emotional development, and helping to supervise outdoor play.
Our ideal volunteer can commit to one (or more) full days each week, 9 AM - 3 PM, on a regular schedule. Children have the same schedule all year so volunteers can form relationships with the children and staff team.
No skills are required other than a love for children and nature and enthusiasm for being outside in all weather from September - June!
For more information, email Rebecca Holcombe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Girls on the Run Greater Hartford teaches critical life skills through research-based programs. Meeting in small teams, trained volunteer coaches inspire girls of all abilities to strengthen confidence and other important life skills through dynamic, interactive lessons and physical activity.
Learn more about their volunteer needs here.
Volunteers are needed for Literacy Volunteers of Greater New Haven. LVGNH provides free literacy tutoring to adult students, both for native English speakers and people learning English as a second language.
interested in learning about upcoming opportunities?
Sign up for our e-newsletter and select "Interested in: Volunteer Opportunities"
to be among the first to hear how you can make an impact in greater New Haven.
Volunteer Manager | Email
Does your community organization have a volunteer need? Are you an individual looking for a specific volunteer opportunity? Do you want to learn more about an opportunity listed above? Contact our Volunteer Manager, Dennis Velasquez.