Together, We Can
Building a strong community that takes care of everyone who lives here depends on your generous support.
Free Financial Coaching Service to help connecticut residents struggling amid covid-19Connecticut United Ways have joined together to offer TrustPlus, a program designed to promote financial stability for working families in the state
Rocky Hill, Conn. (May 12, 2020) - Connecticut United Ways’ ALICE Saves* program has partnered with Neighborhood Trust Financial Partners, a nonprofit social enterprise and national leader in financial coaching, to offer a free financial coaching program available online and by phone.
Known as TrustPlus, the program provides one‐on‐one support for clients with challenges such as dealing with creditors, finding emergency resources, and reducing debt.
The program is available to all Connecticut residents, but has particular relevance for easing the burden on those struggling financially amid the COVID‐19 pandemic, said Kim Morgan, chief executive officer of the United Way of Western Connecticut.
“At this most uncertain of times, we want to help people make the most of every hard‐earned paycheck—or, for those who are no longer getting a paycheck, to help piece together a strategy for making ends meet,” she said. “TrustPlus combines a human connection with action‐oriented tools, offered in a confidential, non‐judgmental setting.”
Neighborhood Trust has provided expert financial guidance for low‐to‐moderate‐income Americans for more than 20 years. All the information shared with TrustPlus coaches is confidential. It will not be shared with anyone. TrustPlus will be available to provide expert coaching to Connecticut workers to ease everyday money worries including:
- Day-to-day money management — TrustPlus financial coaches help their clients manage their cash during the current crisis, By taking control of their money, clients can lessen their stress and make informed financial decisions.
- Create a COVID-19 response checklist — There are many new and expanded public assistance programs that people can take advantage of to help mitigate the financial shock of the pandemic. TrustPlus coaches can help clients find programs and understand how to apply.
- Debt Management — TrustPlus financial coaches are experts on debt management and repayment strategies that allow clients to feel in control of their debt – not overwhelmed by it.
- Credit — Coaches help clients protect their credit, build their credit score and reduce the use of loans, especially high-interest payday loans.
- Savings — TrustPlus helps clients build emergency savings to help families deal with crises and avoid high-cost emergency loans.
How To Sign Up
Those wishing to sign up for TrustPlus can click here or text “AliceSaves” to 646-349-5959, click the button “sign up” and select the Neighborhood Trust Budget Coach they prefer. They will then be asked to schedule a 30‐minute appointment to speak with the coach by phone or Skype. Enrollment provides clients with lifetime access to free financial coaching.
ABOUT ALICE SAVES*
TrustPlus is part of ALICE Saves, a United Way initiative designed to help individuals and families with low to moderate incomes develop a lifelong habit of saving and other positive financial behaviors. The ALICE Saves initiative combines TrustPlus with SaverLife, a proven savings product that offers cash rewards for savings.
The ALICE Saves program is an outgrowth of the United Ways’ biennial ALICE Report, a study on financial hardship. In its 2018 ALICE Report, United Ways found that 40% of Connecticut households cannot afford basic living expenses, while 46% do not have enough savings to cover expenses for 3 months. Research shows that families with a savings of only $250 are less likely to be evicted or miss a housing or utility payment, allowing them more time to focus on their jobs and families.
ABOUT CONNECTICUT UNITED WAYS
Connecticut United Ways advance the common good by creating opportunities for all, with a particular focus on education, income/financial security, health, and basic needs – the building blocks for a good quality of life. We engage people and organizations throughout our communities who bring passion, expertise, and resources needed to get things done, and we invite everyone to be part of the change.
Be In the Know
Sign up for our emails and stay informed about how we work with partners and supporters like you to strengthen our community.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.