Together, We Can
Building a strong community that takes care of everyone who lives here depends on your generous support.
Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) Funding Available
December 1, 2020 - To be eligible for EFSP Phase 38 funding, organizations must provide one or more of the following services (organizations may apply for more than one funding area):
- Food (served meals, food vouchers, food pantries)
- Shelter (mass shelter, motel vouchers)
- Rental Assistance
- Utility Assistance
EFSP Funds are supplemental and may not exceed 49% of a program budget. Funds are not intended to substitute for other program funds or to start new programs and are not to be held or reserved for future use. The spending period for Phase 38 is from 01/01/2020 through 05/31/2021.
Prior to submitting an application for funding organizations are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to review the “EFSP Quick Reference Guides” to familiarize themselves with funding guidelines, (new) requirements, practices and reporting expectations. FUNDS GRANTED BUT NOT EXPENDED AND DOCUMENTED ACCORDING TO THE EFSP HANDBOOK GUIDELINES MUST BE RETURNED. Please refer to the handbook for specifics. Organizations with the GREATEST ability to maximize funding against program impact are preferred.
Applications are due electronically ([email protected]) no later than 12 PM on December 18, 2020. Exceptions will not be made.
APPLYING ORGANIZATIONS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Have 501 c3 status or be an agency of government;
- Have a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN);
- Have a Federal D-U-N-S Identification Number (D-U-N-S Number can be obtained by telephoning 1-866-705-5711), complete and submit a DUNS Form with this application. A blank D-U-N-S form can be accessed here. Please attach your completed DUNS form to the end of this submission;
- Have a New Haven County EFSP Local Board Approved Accounting System (if your agency/organization does not meet this criteria you must apply with a fiscal agent which meets this criteria):
- All agency/organizations applying for $50,000 or more must conduct and submit an annual independent audit and IRS Form 990.
- All agencies/organizations applying for $25,000-49,999 must conduct and submit an annual accountant’s review
- All agencies/organizations applying for $1-24,999 must submit a “Balance Sheet/Statement of Financial Position” and “Income Statement/Statement of Activities”
- All financial documents must be for the current or previous fiscal year.
- Governed by a volunteer board of directors (nonprofits only);
- Provide services guided by a non-discriminatory policy;
- Programs must have a comparative amount of secured funding (51%+ of the program funding must come from a source other than the EFSP) to which they are leveraging EFSP funding;
- Funded programs must provide year round services within the intent of the EFSP and in the category for which they are requesting funding;
- Funded programs must use EFSP funds on an ongoing basis to supplement and expand existing eligible on-going direct service costs expanding program services and increasing the number of clients served during the period of DATES.
PLEASE NOTE: You will be required to submit a completed Phase 38 LRO Certification form. These forms will be made available upon acceptance of the Local Board Plan by the EFSP National Board. Once the awards are accepted, you will be required to complete the LRO Certification Form with your LRO number and your name AS IT APPEARS ON THE EFSP WEBSITE. Please visit the EFSP website to verify your number and organization name prior to submitting the form.
Due to this year’s timeline United Way staff and reviewers will be unable to provide additional time after application submission for applicants to clarify, complete or revise submissions. It is imperative submitted applications meet the identified criteria and include the required attachments by the application: deadline December 18, 2020, at 12 PM, to be considered for funding.
EFSP funds are made available by the Department of Homeland Security/FEMA and are contingent upon the federal government’s ability to pay.
Be In the Know
Sign up for our emails and stay informed about how we work with partners and supporters like you to strengthen our community.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.