The Boost! partnership is guided by the following values:
2. Many different people and entities contribute to a young person’s success, including families, the school system, non-profit organizations, faith-based communities, businesses, and community members, and it is essential to have high expectations for all of them regarding their contributions to the success of our young people.
3. The collective group of adults that are closest to young people are best positioned to know them and to work together as a team to define ways to help them succeed.
4. It is our collective responsibility as a community to help young people learn despite the deficits and obstacles that may exist in their environment.
5. We define a young person’s success broadly to include positive outcomes in civic, social, emotional, physical, vocational, and cognitive development, as well as academic success.
6. We are focused on serving young people from cradle through college.
7. To serve the best interests of young people in New Haven, there must be significant improvements in how the community works together and with the school district.
8. While the school district’s chief focus is on the core business of academics, NHPS also has a major role to play in directly providing wraparound supports and in creating an environment in which NPOs and other community partners can effectively serve young people and their families.
9. Young people should be involved in the process of defining their needs, identifying possible solutions, and creating solutions. Their perspective and involvement are important to creating an effective support system.
10. The success of a young person requires ongoing, honest, non-judgmental communication among adults and organizations working as a team.