United Way is seeking applicants through AmeriCorps VISTA to join the Boost! Service Corps Team.
United Way of Greater New Haven (UWGNH) is in partnership with the City of New Haven and the New Haven Public Schools to coordinate wraparound services to support young people’s overall development and enhance their ability to learn in the classroom. The initiative, called Boost!, is a component of New Haven’s School Change Initiative (to learn more, visit www.NewHavenSchoolChange.org). Boost! addresses wraparound services that fall into four broad domains which have been demonstrated to contribute to young people’s ability to succeed in school and in life: physical health, social and behavioral health, family support and engagement, and extended learning opportunities.
Boost! is designed to improve coordination and facilitate access to critical support services for youth and families, improve the quality of services, promote best practices, make most efficient use of existing and new resources in schools and in the community, and use data to leverage citywide policy and systems change -- all aimed at giving New Haven’s youth the educational foundation they need to escape the cycle of poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members assigned to UWGNH will join the Boost! Service Corps Team, working to complement ongoing activities of Boost! by helping to coordinate services at the school level, conducting research, resource development, communications and training.
AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Authorized in 1964 and founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993. VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 45 years.
Each VISTA member will engage in strategic planning at a Boost! school, assisting the Boost! Coordinator in developing the school’s capacity to provide comprehensive wraparound services. Also, they will participate in developing the overall systemic capacity for wraparound services citywide. Specific duties will include but not be limited to the following:
• Conduct needs assessments to determine needed supports and services at both the city and school levels
• Research best practices and share learning with schools through trainings
• Engage families and community members in supporting student success and developing school capacity to create a welcoming school environment
• Develop and coordinate expanded wraparound program/services between community-based organizations and schools
• Collect and analyze data to report on Boost! programs and monitor program quality
• Provide assistance with resource development/fundraising and communications activities
• Assist in development of Boost! volunteer opportunities
• Assist school-appointed Boost! Coordinator in the management of programs
• Participate in United Way projects and activities that support Boost’s mission and goals
• Education/Youth Development
• Interpersonal and Communications Skills
• Research, writing and editing
• Community Organizing/Motivation
• Conflict Resolution
• Public Speaking
• Data Collection/Analysis
Boost! Service Corps members report to Beth Pellegrino, Boost! Director.
For more information contact Beth Pellegrino, Boost! Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 691-4207.